May 7, 2013

Who Is The Red Sox Closer?


Bailey is on the DL, and Hanrahan had to leave the game last night, so there is a serious question about who will be the Red Sox closer until one of those guys return. Most people think it'll be Koji Uehara, which I'm fine with. He has been playing well, and I like the way he is always way overexcited. 

Yet, I have a feeling I agree with DP here that I would rather see Tazawa. It's not that I don't think Uehara can do it, because I think he can, it's more about changing roles on a team. I like Uehara in that 7th/8th inning spot, and Tazawa has done nothing wrong over the last two year to make me think he can't handle thing. 

Going forward is going to be really interesting for the Red Sox. I like Bailey a lot, but he never stays healthy. It's hard to be impressed by anything Hanrahan has done. Even if Tazawa or Uehara take over the closer role and do well the Red Sox are going to have some bullpen problems if Bailey and Hanrahan can't be healthy and effective. Going into the season I thought the Sox bullpen was actually the strongest part of their team, now it looks like it could be the one part they made need to improve through trade.

I say trade because there doesn't seem to be a ton of internal options if these guys end up not being able to stay on the field. Bard seems to be a lost cause. I guess if the season was coming to a close you could call up young starter and have them do it, but they have all been doing well and I don't want to fuck with their progress. I hate flip flopping starters to relief roles, way to many cautionary tales to go down that road again.


No comments:

Post a Comment