Feb 7, 2013

Schilling: Red Sox Organization Pushed Steroids


“At the end of my career, in 2008 when I had gotten hurt, there was a conversation that I was involved in in which is was brought to my attention that this is a potential path I might want to pursue,” Schilling told Colin Cowherd. Asked for more details, Schilling said the conversation occurred in the clubhouse and involved “former members of the organization — they’re no longer there.

It was an incredibly uncomfortable conversation. Because it came up in the midst of a group of people. The other people weren’t in the conversation but they could clearly hear the conversation. And it was suggested to me that at my age and in my situation, why not? What did I have to lose? Because if I wasn’t going to get healthy, it didn’t matter. And if I did get healthy, great.

“It caught me off guard, to say the least. That was an awkward situation.”

I am sure this is going to get a lot of headlines, but it really shouldn't catch anyone by surprise.  We already know Manny Ramirez used, we pretty much know Ortiz used, and we suspect Nomar, and so on, so we know (like all organizations) it was around. My guess is that they had a trainer in there that had a hand in all this. The good news here, as Schilling stated, is that the "member of the organization" is no longer there. So to me this is really a dead story, unless there is evidence that it's still going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment